Simone Bruyere Fraser - Illuminate the Art of Living

Monday, August 16, 2010

Flatter me baby...

There's a big difference between being flattered and being loved...

Recently I had a chance to spend time with some very good friends of mine, people I know from when I was a kid, and I noticed something very unique about the time when I was with them. I felt totally and completely loved and adored but not flattered in the slightest. They laughed at me, gave me a hard time about all of my quirks, finished my sentences, and even put me in my place when I got out of line. It felt so good, so real, so true, and so loving. I realized living in LA I get flattered a lot. Told I am so amazing in some form or another, but very rarely am I called on my shortcomings...and believe me there are a lot of them...but usually it's because the love doesn't go that deep. There is nothing wrong with a genuine compliment, but many times a flattering statement is a way to also manipulate someone into getting them to do something you want them to do. Soo pay attention to the difference and make sure that your ego doesn't get sucked up into flattery disguised as love...there is nothing better then keeping it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment