Simone Bruyere Fraser - Illuminate the Art of Living

Friday, April 5, 2013

Sanely Insane

Some months ago someone was asking me a little bit about myself, and what I like to do, and how I live, and I mentioned a few things, and they said.."No offense, but that sounds a little crazy..."
Something I have heard many many times in my life..."No offense, but that sounds a little crazy."

And, the truth is that I am not offended in the slightest, but I have often come to question what it is that we have come to deem as normal. What scares me is the things that we don't even look at or question anymore, as so many of our thoughts are choices have been automatically conditioned by society.
I sit down on a park bench with a homeless guy, and try to hear his story, and people think I'm nuts. Meanwhile I think it's amazing how we can walk by these people, and don't even see them anymore, like they don't even exist. They might as well be park benches themselves. I moved into a new place about six months ago, and didn't buy a bed. I still haven't bought a bed. I have been sleeping so great on the floor. People that have come to know about it laugh at me daily. What's wrong with sleeping on the floor? We slept out in caves for years, many people today still sleep on the ground in impoverished countries, and don't even have a nice carpet and plush blankets as I have. We are in a privileged position to be thinking that sleeping in a nice fluffy bed is the norm. I am not making a plea for everyone to talk to homeless people, and to sleep on the floor. I am making a plea to open your eyes and look at the world and try to make fresh decisions out of the conditioning of society. We have been so conditioned that our life should follow certain tracks just because those are set before us.

It becomes more dangerous for larger choices such as war and slavery. Slavery was seen as normal before someone took a risk to stand out against it, and then others followed. Women were allowed to vote later then black men, and today the thought is women not being able to vote just seems unbelievable. Sleeping on the floor and hanging out with homeless people are relatively mundane tasks, and think if I get that much flack for those things, think about the silent pressures to conform over larger and more important matters. Group think is a very thick and transparent poison that can be toxic. Take a stand to think for yourself, what seems insane actually might be much more sane then you first realize. And, the ultimate litmus can only be the voice deep inside your self.

No comments:

Post a Comment